On this episode of Analytics on Fire, we take a break from interviewing business intelligence leaders from large companies and focus on the BI Competency Center (BICC). Our today’s guest subject matter expert is Wayne Eckerson from the Eckerson Group.
Wayne has been a thought leader in the BI space for over 20 years. He’s worked with organizations like TDWI and Search Target. Wayne is also the author of two books, Performance Dashboards: Measuring, Monitoring, and Managing Your Business, and Secrets of Analytical Leaders: Insights from Information Insiders.
We invited Wayne to the podcast to talk about his “federated approach” to a successful BICC. Wayne covers the main reasons why BICCs don’t succeed and shares his thoughts on what’s changed and what’s disrupted the notion of BICC. We also discuss the roles and the types of people you need for a BICC “dream team.”
Don’t miss this incredible opportunity to discover what you need to do in this ever-evolving BI world in order to create a BI Competency Center that will actually works.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn:
- Why a taking what Wayne calls a “federated approach” is the key to success in your BI Competency Center.
- What is a Competency Center why is it important.
- Why a BICC should be a ‘Business Intelligence Confidence and Credibility Center’ to be successful.
- How to Overcome the 3 biggest BICC challenges: business vs IT needs, top down vs bottom up data, and efficiency vs effectiveness.
- Wayne’s advice on how to get business owners to take ownership of BI initiatives.
- Wayne cracks the code on what the BICC team should look like.
- How BI Directors should deal with shadow IT.
- Who should market the BI solutions and why.
- One of the biggest mistakes most companies make when setting up their BICC.
- The brutal truth about outsourcing (when it comes to BI).
- Wayne’s tips on how BI Directors should deal with shadow IT.
Links and Resources mentioned in this Episode:
- Connect with Wayne: Eckerson Group | Twitter | LinkedIn | BI Leadership Forum on LinkedIn
- Governed Data Discovery (exclusive free report from Wayne)
- Performance Dashboards: Measuring, Monitoring, and Managing Your Business by Wayne Eckerson
- Secrets of Analytical Leaders: Insights from Information Insiders Perfect by Wayne Eckerson
- The New BI Leader by Wayne Eckerson
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!
- It’s almost time for #BI2017 #HANA2017 in Orlando - February 16, 2017
- 16: BI Awareness and Adoption Tactics that Work with Lestor Meadows of Kimberly-Clark - August 23, 2016
- 15: Why the Key to a Data-Driven Culture is Community with Shawn Rogers - July 4, 2016
- It’s about that time for #BI2016 #HANA2016 in Vienna - June 10, 2016
- Ep #14: The Four Step Path to Success with GIS and Analytics with Matt Sheehan - May 31, 2016