This week on Analytics on Fire, I was away on vacation, but Ryan had an exciting one-on-one with Matt Sheehan, a pioneer in the location intelligence community. Join us as Matt breaks down how GIS (Geographic Information System) is becoming a sought after solution across a range of industries looking to make better decisions for strategic growth.
Matt is a Principal and Senior GIS Developer with WebMapSolutions, which specializes in location technology development, working with GIS and other location-based services. He started the company eight years ago bringing together GIS problem solvers with technical experts to help companies find solutions to their WHERE problems.
Matt talks us through his four-step process, “From WHERE to there”, that businesses can use to reach a Location Intelligence solution. The BI community is growing rapidly, so Matt is also sharing some helpful information on live events to connect with other professionals to increase your opportunities to network.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn:
- The shifts in the BI industry and how they relate and complement the changes in mapping with GIS
- The power and value of GIS for those with BI but without a real location intelligence solution in place
- How GIS can produce information to help businesses make strategic growth decisions
- Maps vs. GIS – What is the difference?
- Real world commercial applications for GIS
- How to approach answering the “WHERE” questions with analytics and GIS
- A starting point for those looking to implement a GIS solution
- How to apply Matt’s 4 step process “From WHERE to There” when it comes to analytics and GIS
- Advice for approaching GIS professionals in your organization
- The best way to incorporate GIS professionals into your organization
Links and Resources mentioned in this Episode:
- Connect with Matt: Email | Twitter | LinkedIn | WebMapSolutions
- Matt’s Linked In Articles
- From WHERE to There in 4 Steps Matt’s blog with more details
- How are GIS and Spotted Dick Similar?
- Please stop calling me the mapping guy Matt’s article is hilarious
- Future of LI Interview with Chris Ovens (Former head of analytics for ESRI) Webinar
- Reference to Location Intelligence Dictionary
- Helen Thompson blogger at ESRI
- FOS4G Conference – Open Source GIS Conference
- Howard Dresner Wisdom of the Crowds Location Intelligence Research Paper
- ESRI World Conference, June 27 – July 1
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Also, reviews on iTunes are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! We read each and every one of them!
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!
- It’s almost time for #BI2017 #HANA2017 in Orlando - February 16, 2017
- 16: BI Awareness and Adoption Tactics that Work with Lestor Meadows of Kimberly-Clark - August 23, 2016
- 15: Why the Key to a Data-Driven Culture is Community with Shawn Rogers - July 4, 2016
- It’s about that time for #BI2016 #HANA2016 in Vienna - June 10, 2016
- Ep #14: The Four Step Path to Success with GIS and Analytics with Matt Sheehan - May 31, 2016