Internet of Things is creating new opportunities to better understand how customers, employees, and assets behave through device generated data. As consumers, we are participants in the “Internet of Everything” boom by using connected smartphones, cars, and home appliances.
The data we generate every day is invaluable for enterprises that can effectively analyze and communicate the impact of IoT trends. An emerging solution for sifting through troves of data to retrieve the biggest nuggets of information is location-based analytics.
For example, machine generated data from smart appliances can help manufacturers:
- Predict consumer behavior: What demographics are acquiring smart refrigerators?
- Improve products and predict failure: Where are refrigerators failing and what components?
- Optimize business processes: Where are retailers moving the highest number of units?
Article: Sand Hill- IoT and the Growing Use of Location Features in Business Intelligence Software
Location Intelligence is Peaking
While “Big Data” officially left the Gartner Advanced Analytics and Data Science Hype Cycle in 2015, Location Intelligence is peaking along with the following trends:
- Emotion Detection/Recognition
- Prescriptive Analytics
- Event Stream Processing
- Geospatial and Location Intelligence
- Predictive Analytics
- Machine Learning
Original Article Source: Big Data Falls Off the Hype Cycle
Visualization as a Common Language
While Location Intelligence tools are generally more complex than traditional Business Intelligence, visualization is the common language that ultimately bridges the gap between subject / technology experts and business decision makers.
The following big data visualization demonstrates the pulse of Chicago based on Foursquare check-ins over time.
Foursquare check-ins show the pulse of Chicago from Foursquare on Vimeo.
Do you have the same visual insight to movement, density, and location of all assets, employees, and customers within your organization? We want to hear about your IoT and Location Intelligence experiences.
- Anatomy of a Modern Dashboard - January 24, 2017
- 16 Infographic: BI Awareness and Adoption Tactics that Work - September 13, 2016
- 15 Infographic: 5 Cs of a Data-Driven Culture with Shawn Rogers - July 7, 2016
- Ep #14 Infographic: 4 Step path to success with GIS and Analytics - June 2, 2016
- Ep #13 Infographic: 3 Steps to Mapify Your KPIs - May 26, 2016