You’ve probably heard a few things about BI and Big Data that everyone swears by. Well, some are true, and SOME are simply myths.
This week on Analytics on Fire, we have an exciting interview with Andrew Brust (my personal Big Data go-to mentor), a 15-year Big Data veteran who not only is a Senior Director, at Datameer, but also a highly sought-after influencer and speaker on the topic of Big Data, as well as a blogger on ZDNet in his column ‘Big On Data’.
The interview couldn’t have turned out better. In today’s show, you’ll hear about Andrew’s amazing extensive expertise in the Big Data arena, the top five big data myths BI people believe and Andrew’s insights into them, and exactly what you need to know as a BI professional looking to get into big data.
You may have to listen to this incredible interview a few times to really get all the value that’s packed in as Andrew shares his candid big data industry insights with the Analytics on Fire community!
In This Episode, You’ll Learn:
- Why there’s a certain “fetish” around the size of Big Data projects (and the false bragging rights that go with ‘data size’).
- Andrew’s rule of thumb on what big data really is… “If it’s too big, only then is it Big Data.”
- The three V’s of Big Data (and the recent fourth V) and how they pertain to you as a data-driven organization.
- Andrew’s distinction between BI and Big Data, and why they may become less useful in the future.
- The ultimate soft skill that every ‘data-interested’ person should brush up on to get the most out of data.
- What business intelligence professionals need to know before deciding to become a “data scientist”.
- What’s happening that makes basic data analysis more accessible to companies and people interested in harnessing the power of big data.
- The five Big Data Myths and Andrew’s insights to where they are true (AND where they’re false).
- How to get real ROI from big data.
- Andrew’s answer to the question: “Is the Internet Of Things a high-value opportunity or is it just a buzz word?”
Links and Resources mentioned in this Episode:
- Connect with Andrew: Twitter | Bit.ly/bigondata
Bill Baker – Started BI at Microsoft
Tony Baer – Chief Analyst at Ovum
Mike Hoskins – CTO at Actian
The Algebra of Data by Gary Sherman and Robin Bloor
- Spark (Apache Spark)
- Datameer – Where Andrew works, makes Analytics on Hadoop Easy
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Also, reviews on iTunes are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! We read each and every one of them!
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!