On this episode of Analytics on Fire, we discuss a very hot topic in social media – The Gartner BI Magic Quadrant. We reached out to our good friend David Dadoun at the Aldo Group to get a customer perspective of the ongoing saga. His experience and current use of multiple BI platforms gave us some deep insight and colorful feedback that you can’t miss.
David Dadoun hails from the Aldo Group, a huge Canadian shoe company with stores in nearly a hundred countries. David is the Senior Manager of Business Intelligence and Data Governance at Aldo. He’s on the business side, serving up real-time reports directly to the company’s executives in four different countries. David is also a speaker and university lecturer who teaches the next generation about the power of Business Intelligence.
Listen as David’s shares his agnostic perspective. Learn how he uses The Gartner BI Magic Quadrant to plan. He talks candidly about the state of the Gartner BI Magic Quadrant, what he wants to see as a customer, and shares interesting details about how he would rename the quadrant. In addition to his gut reaction as a BI professional, David shares a practical, unbiased opinion, as someone who is vested in data governance, owns tools such as SaS, IBM and RoamBI, and has a background in consulting with what Gartner calls Mode 1 BI vendors.
You will never believe what David, as a visionary and thought leader, said about those vendors who fell from the Leaders into the Visionary Quadrant. Click “play” below to find out…
In This Episode, You’ll Learn:
- David’s background in BI and BI-related education.
- The many tools David and Aldo’s BI team are currently working with and why.
- What people should really use Gartner Quadrant for and why.
- David openly compares the Forrester Wave vs Gartner BI Magic Quadrant – who’s the leader? (19:00)
- The importance of data governance.
- David’s jaw-dropping take on the visionary quadrant.
- What Shocked David the most when he first looked at The Quadrant.
- Why David believes that Gartner should rename the quadrant and why.
- Why customers should never select a tool based on The Gartner Magic Quadrant or The Forrester Wave.
Links and Resources mentioned in this Episode:
- Connect with David: Twitter @DadounDavid | LinkedIn
- Tableau, Qlik Sense/QlikView,SaaS, IBM Cognos – Aldo Group tools of choice
- Roambi – David’s favorite tool
- Alteryx – mentioned as bring out of place on BI MQ
- Business Intelligence: A Managerial Perspective on Analytics by Ramesh Sharda, Dursun Delen, Efraim Turban
- Howard Dresner on Twitter / @BIWisdom twitter chat at 1pm ET every Friday
- Timo Elliott on Twitter
- Mico Yuk on Twitter
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Also, reviews on iTunes are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! We read each and every one of them!
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!